Mexican reliquary pendant in the shape of a lantern. The middle of this jewel, barely 3cm high, is formed of a hexagonal tube of rock crystal hollowed out to enclose a minute wooden statue of Jesus with Mary Magdalene and St John. Columns at each corner are enamelled in red and white. Probably Spanish or Mexican, it dates from about 1550–1600. Several similar pieces are known, of which this is one of the finest.