Juriah McLemore & her husband, W. H. Jackson, built a Greek Revival cottage in 1858 in Meridian, Mississippi. This is the antebellum part of Merrehope. Merrehope changed hands in 1868 & between 1868 & 1881, John Gary, a cotton broker, remodeled the home in the Italianate style. Between 1903 & 1915 a wealthy cotton broker, Sam Floyd owned the home, adding the front columns, suspended balcony & electricity to the home. The style of architecture was transformed to neo-classical by this owner.